3 Minute Read:
Following a professional teeth whitening treatment, it’s essential to keep your smile looking bright. Taking special care to avoid staining them, especially during the first few weeks after treatment, protects both your teeth and your financial investment.
Immediately Following Your Professional Teeth Whitening Treatment
In the days and weeks after your whitening procedure, your teeth are more porous and vulnerable to erosion and staining, so keep the following tips in mind:
- Don’t smoke or use any tobacco products.
- Brush with a soft toothbrush and whitening toothpaste — if you are experiencing any sensitivity, choose one made for sensitive teeth.
- Don’t use colored toothpaste or mouthwash, as the commonly used red, blue, purple, and orange colors may stain your smile faster than white, clear, or light-colored oral health products.
- Avoid consuming dark or highly pigmented foods and beverages as well as those high in sugar or acid, including:
- Berries, pomegranates, and other dark fruits
- Citrus fruits
- Sugary and sticky snacks
- Some cheese products
- Processed and canned meats and fish
- Foods high in protein
- Potato chips
- Citrus drinks (including juice)
- Apple, pineapple, and grape juice
- Soft drinks
- Coffee and tea
Try to eat more of the following foods:
- Uncolored pasta
- White rice
- White fish like cod, haddock, or tilapia,
- Natural-colored cheeses
- Egg whites
- Plain yogurt
- Cold cereal and oatmeal with no artificial coloring
- Soft nuts like almonds and cashews
Stick to the following beverages:
- Regular or unflavored carbonated water
- Coconut water
- Coconut milk
If you must satisfy a persistent sweet tooth, enjoy a small amount of white chocolate, vanilla ice cream, or other light-colored treats, then immediately rinse your mouth with water, and brush your teeth between 30 minutes to an hour after.
Because sugar is high in acid, you should wait a little while after consuming any before you brush to avoid enamel erosion, but rinsing your mouth with water helps protect your newly whitened smile until you can.
While you should avoid alcohol completely during the weeks after your teeth whitening treatment, if you find yourself in a position that makes it hard to resist enjoying a social drink, use a straw and stick to clear alcohol and mixers.
Avoid wine, as red will stain your teeth, and white is highly acidic.
When to Resume a Normal Diet After Professional Teeth Whitening
You can start eating a more normal diet after about the third or fourth week.
When you do, ensure you are committed to a proper oral hygiene routine, increase your water intake, rinse after consuming sugary and acidic foods or drinks, and add an extra brushing when needed.
Don’t smoke or use tobacco and continue to avoid or limit the following:
- Coffee and tea
- Grape, cranberry, and other dark fruit juices
- Dark soft drinks
- Citrus drinks and juice
- Sweet drinks and snacks
- Potato chips and other simple carbohydrate snacks like crackers
- Dried or processed fruits
- Sticky snacks
When you choose to drink dark, acidic, or sugary beverages, try using a straw to minimize their contact with your professionally whitened teeth and lower the risk of staining them.
Seeing the dentist regularly and minimizing your smile’s exposure to foods and liquids that are high in sugar or acidity can help keep them whiter longer.
Cosmetic Dentistry and Professional Teeth Whitening in Beverly Hills, CA
Dr. Kevin Sands is well-known and respected. With clients like Tommy Hilfiger, Miley Cyrus, Joe Manganiello, and Kim Kardashian, he is often considered Beverly Hills’ dentist to the stars.
You deserve the same VIP treatment as Dr. Sand’s high-profile clients. Our team is happy to offer this, along with top-quality cosmetic dental care that includes Zoom! professional teeth whitening in Beverly Hills, California.
Dr. Sands is currently accepting new patients and invites you to call us at (310) 273-0111 to schedule a consultation.