4 Minute Read:
If you have been living with general or cosmetic dental concerns for any length of time but are avoiding treatment because of anxiety or a dental phobia, you may be putting more than your smile at risk.
Without regular visits to the dentist, unchecked oral health issues can lead to gum disease, a condition that leads to tooth loss and has been linked to several overall health problems.
The Good News About Dental Phobias
The first step in addressing your fear is understanding how comfortable dental treatment has become. Dentists use newer techniques to provide pain-free care, from anesthetic injections to newer technologies for complex procedures.
Many dentists also offer sedation for patients with dental anxiety, and given the importance of maintaining your oral health, it’s worth considering the benefits sedation dentistry offers:
- Reduces or eliminates anxiety
- Contributes to a positive dental experience
- Allows individuals with dental phobias to receive much-needed care
When scheduling your appointment, choose a compassionate dentist who offers a variety of sedation options and caters to patients with dental phobias or anxiety.
A Beautiful Smiles Starts with Healthy Teeth and Gums
Before receiving cosmetic dental treatments, your dentist must ensure your teeth and gums are healthy. A routine dental exam is painless and provides the information necessary for your dentist to create a treatment plan that will address any oral health or cosmetic issues.
Be sure to discuss your level of anxiety with the dentist so they can explain your sedation options. However, many non-invasive cosmetic dental treatments are available, and breathing exercises or other relaxation techniques may be all you need to stay calm.
Your Pain-Free Cosmetic Dental Options
The following cosmetic treatments are available to easily improve the appearance of your smile:
- Professional teeth whitening – Brighten your smile in about an hour with ZOOM! in-office teeth whitening. This treatment involves a professional-strength whitening solution being applied to discolored teeth and then activated by a specially designed light. Professional teeth whitening works best on teeth with surface stains caused by smoking or consuming highly pigmented juices, wine, coffee, and tea.
- Veneers – Chipped, cracked, worn-down, and misaligned teeth can be transformed into a stunning smile with porcelain veneers. Veneers are thin porcelain shells placed over damaged or deeply discolored teeth. This treatment involves two visits; first, your teeth are prepared for the veneers, and an impression is obtained for fabricating the veneers. In about two weeks, your veneers will be placed securely over your teeth.
- Bonding – Like veneers, dental bonding can treat damaged and intrinsically stained teeth. The difference is that with bonding, a strong, chip-resistant, synthetic resin is applied directly onto the damaged teeth. This usually only requires one visit.
- Invisalign® dental aligners – Significantly misaligned or twisted teeth require orthodontic treatment to straighten them, but that doesn’t necessarily mean being fitted with uncomfortable and unsightly metal braces. Invisalign® clear aligners are designed to gradually and comfortably move teeth into the proper positions in as little as six months.
These cosmetic dental options rarely require an anesthetic or sedation but talk to your dentist if you are still experiencing anxiety regarding these treatments.
Tooth Replacement for Individuals With Severe Dental Anxiety
Requiring extractions or dental implants to replace unhealthy teeth can cause anyone anxiety, and this is an excellent example of when sedation may be the right choice.
Having a dental implant placed involves multiple procedures but is the most natural and effective method of tooth replacement. Treatment offers these benefits:
- Replaces the entire tooth, including the root
- Provides secure and stable dental function
- Looks and feels like your natural tooth
- Helps preserve underlying bone structure
When missing teeth are not replaced or treated with a fixed bridge or removable partial, the jaw bone loses density and becomes weaker due to the lack of stimulation once provided by the tooth root. Replacing both the crown and root helps keep the underlying bone healthy.
Cosmetic Dentistry in Beverly Hills, CA With Sedation Options
Dr. Kevin Sands is a compassionate, well-known, celebrity cosmetic dentist in Beverly Hills, California, who offers a variety of sedation options for a pleasant dental experience every time.
His dedication to improving the smiles of patients with dental anxiety or phobias in Beverly Hills is unmatched, and his entire team is committed to providing the best cosmetic dental care possible.
Don’t let a fear of the dentist keep you from having the smile you deserve. Call Dr. Sands today!