It’s hard to overvalue the benefits of an attractive smile with straight, aligned teeth. Confidence, positive self-image, the ability to express yourself authentically, and make a good impression are all improved when you are not afraid to proudly show your pearly whites. On the other hand, an aversion to smiling, laughing, and even speaking can inhibit you in a variety of social situations.
Straight teeth also help you maintain the health of your smile, as they are easier to clean and are less likely to contribute to bruxism (teeth grinding) and the damage that can be caused, including TMJ disorder.
Invisalign® clear dental aligners are ideal for patients who want straighter teeth without the hassle or embarrassment of traditional braces. This informative guide will explain the benefits of Invisalign® and offer suggestions for when to plan orthodontic treatment.
How Does Invisalign® Work?
Invisalign® is a modern orthodontic treatment designed to straighten teeth and correct various bite issues discreetly and effectively using a series of clear, custom-made aligners that gradually shift teeth into their proper positions. The aligners are virtually invisible, making them undetectable under most circumstances.
7 Steps to a Straighter Smile With Invisalign®
The Invisalign® treatment process involves the following seven steps:
- A thorough initial consultation:
- During your comprehensive consultation with an Invisalign® dentist, they will assess your smile, discuss treatment goals, and determine if Invisalign® is the right orthodontic solution for you.
- A customized treatment plan:
- Digital impressions are obtained to create a 3D digital model of your teeth. Based on this model, a treatment plan including the necessary number of customized aligner trays is developed to facilitate the step-by-step movement of your teeth.
- Aligner fabrication:
- Once the treatment plan is finalized, a series of clear aligners is custom-fabricated at an Invisalign® lab.
- Receiving your dental aligners:
- When your aligners are ready, you will visit your dentist, and they will instruct you on the proper usage and check the first set to ensure the correct fit and comfort. Adjustments may be made if needed.
- Starting your Invisalign® treatment:
- Each set of aligners is worn for approximately two weeks, gradually guiding the teeth into the desired positions.
- Regular Check-ups:
- You will have regular check-ups with your Invisalign provider throughout the treatment to monitor your progress and address any issues.
- Treatment Duration:
- The duration of Invisalign treatment varies based on individual needs and the complexity of the case. Your treatment can take anywhere from several months to a couple of years.
What Orthodontic Issues Can Invisalign® Treat?
You may be surprised to learn the many problems Invisalign® can correct. While highly effective for mild to moderate orthodontic issues, Invisalign® has successfully treated even complex cases. You may be a good candidate for Invisalign® if you have:
- Crooked teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Gapped teeth
For severe cases, traditional braces may be recommended. However, these patients may be able to switch to Invisalign® at some point during treatment, shortening their time wearing braces.
Can Children Be Treated With Invisalign®?
Invisalign® aligners must be worn for the majority of the treatment duration (typically 22 hours per day), so they are most effective for adults and mature teens who desire a discreet orthodontic option.
Because compliance is essential to achieving the desired results, Invisalign® is not usually recommended for children, since they may remove the aligners and reduce their effectiveness.
When to Consider Treatment With Invisalign®
Invisalign® is convenient and doesn’t require special tools for your oral hygiene routine. It can be used whenever you want to straighten your teeth. However, thinking about events that will occur in the future can provide the time needed to improve your smile before occasions such as:
Invisalign® can be an excellent graduation gift and gives your loved one an advantage when embarking on their career.
Whether it’s your wedding or that of someone close to you, straightening your teeth before the big day can help you feel confident about your smile.
Make a great impression at your family or class reunion, and never worry about having to hide your smile.
Laugh and smile with freedom while enjoying an adventure anywhere in the world.
Be sure to allow yourself enough time to complete your treatment. Even if the time of your special event happens before you have finished wearing your last set of aligners, your smile will still be straighter than it was!
Add Professional Whitening Gel
You can use your last Invisalign® aligner tray with a professional strength whitening treatment to ensure your smile is both straight and bright.
Choosing Your Beverly Hills, CA Invisalign® Dentist
Dr. Kevin Sands is a respected cosmetic dentist and approved Invisalign® provider in Beverly Hills, California. Call (310) 273-0111 today to speak with one of our friendly staff members and schedule your consultation.