It is important to do your research when choosing your cosmetic dentist. There are countless cosmetic dentists who are not as qualified or experienced as others, and this could make a huge difference in your whole cosmetic experience and results. Here are some things to find out prior to choosing who want to go to for your cosmetic dentistry needs:
- Education: Though this may be a given with any cosmetic dentist, it is important to find a dentist that has continued their education. With so many constant changes in the field of dentistry and in technology, you want a cosmetic dentist who is up-to-date in treatment options. Look at conferences and workshops that the cosmetic dentist has recently attended for this information. This information may be available on their website or you may call their office and ask.
- Professional memberships: It is important that your cosmetic dentist is a member of professional associations, such as AACD (American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry). This involvement displays that your cosmetic dentist has had intense training and regularly attends cosmetic dentistry conferences to stay up-to-date on his/her practice.
- What makes them special? A good, qualified cosmetic dentist usually has a certain specialization, such as cosmetic, restorative, or preventive services in dentistry. It is beneficial for you to see a dentist who is specialized in the area that you want fixed or improved.
- A good feeling: You want to feel comfortable with your cosmetic dentist, so it is important to choose someone who you feel is honest, helpful, patient, and understands your cosmetic dentistry needs. The best way to determine this is during your initial consultation with the dentist. If you leave your consultation feeling uncomfortable or concerned that the cosmetic dentist did not give you enough information or was not honest, it is best to get a consultation with another cosmetic dentist.
- A good office/staff: Your whole cosmetic dentistry experience begins when you walk through the door. You should choose a cosmetic dentist with a friendly staff who welcomes you politely and professionally. The office should be clean and up-to-date. Do not hesitate to ask about the equipment and technology the cosmetic dentist offers, so that you may know if you are getting the best up-to-date experience and treatment as possible.
Getting cosmetic dental treatment is important decision and you should feel as happy and comfortable with your cosmetic dentist as you should feel with any doctor. Do your research and decide what is best for you and your whole cosmetic dentistry experience. I welcome you to contact my dental practice and get started!